Google has rolled out Android Wear 4.4W.2 update for smartwatches including Moto 360, LG G Watch among others bringing in quite a few new features.
This is the second of the series of updates to the Android Wear platform, last month Google rolled out Android Wear 4.4W.1 update.
The update brings some of the key functionality. Wear now supports watches with GPS sensors, it let you track things like route, distance and speed independent of your smartphones.
Beside the GPS functionality the wear users will be able to store music on their watch, listen to it via Bluetooth headphones said Google on its blog post. Notably Sony SmartWatch 3 is the only Android Wear powered smartwatch with a dedicated GPS sensor.
Motorola also on its blog announced the update for the Moto 360 along with a proper changelog of features, the update which are common to the Android Wear 4.4W.2 will also reach to other wearables as well. The LG G Watch and G Watch R started receiving the update says a report.
For those interested in the complete list of changes, here is the change log:
- Smart Battery Saving – When your battery hits 15%, your Moto 360 will turn off ambient mode, so you don’t have to remember to.
- Timely Time Checks – Moto 360 will synchronize the time with your phone more often to make sure it is up to the minute.
- User Interface Tweaks – We observed with consumers that there are many times where you want to use your Moto 360 as truly a classic watch—a beautiful way to see the time. A new gesture now lets you see the full watch face without permanently dismissing a notification. Just touch the top of a notification and swipe down. You’ll see the notification again when you have another high priority notification.
- Mood Lighting – Moto 360 will adjust to the lighting of the room while charging, so that it isn’t too bright or too dark.
- Readying the wires for Bluetooth – There are a couple of under-the-hood enhancements that will pave the way for connecting Bluetooth headsets to the watch.
- Bug Squashing – As usual, bugs are squashed to enhance the overall user experience.
The company notes that the update will be rolled out in phases , users can look for the update notification in their watch. To install the update, make sure that you’re connected to your phone with an internet connection and that your watch has at least 80% battery.