PS4 regained “best selling console” title in January
Sony’s PlayStation 4 has dethroned Microsoft’s Xbox One to regain the title of “best selling console” for the month of January.
“PlayStation 4 was the top-selling console in January and remains the cumulative leader in the U.S. according to NPD data. Since launch in November 2013, 18.5 million PS4 units and 81.8 software units have been sold through to consumers worldwide”, said Sony Computer Entertainment America in a statement.
Prior to January, Microsoft’s Xbox One was the best-selling console in the U.S. in November and December. Looking at January results, it seems the Redmond’s post holiday season discount offers were not enticing enough to attract more and more gamers.
According to data collected by the NPD Group, overall hardware sales in January 2015 were down $54 million versus the same time period one year prior, but both software and accessory sales were up by $12.4 million and $5.4 million respectively.
As regarding software, Techland’s survival horror gaming title ‘Dying Light’ snatched the first spot from Activision’s first-person shooter series Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.
“The sales of January 2015 launch titles were up over 200 percent versus January 2014, with Dying Light being the major new release of the month. If January 2015 releases performed in line with January 2014 releases, overall software sales would have decreased by 4 percent,” NPD’s Liam Callahan wrote in a statement.
Here’s the list of the ten best selling gaming titles for the month of January:
- Dying Light (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One ,PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
- Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
- NBA 2K15 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Super Smash Bros. (Wii U, 3DS)
- Far Cry 4 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
- Madden NFL 15 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
- Destiny (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
- FIFA 15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, Wii, Vita, 3DS)