Hack allows Windows 10 for Phones to run on nearly all WP8.1 handsets
Hackers have already managed to find a way to bypass the Windows 10 for phones technical preview limitation that dictates that the recently released mobile OS can only be run on some Windows Phone 8.1 smartphones.
Hackers at XDA-Developers have posted a registry hack that will help you install the WP10 for Phones TP even on those handsets that are not being offered any preview builds yet.
We would remind our readers that this hack is a high-risk preposition and that there are all the chances that you might end up with a bricked handset if you are not careful enough! Please, follow the steps at your own risk.
According to this post on XDA-Developers, users keen on trying out Windows 10 for Phones on their Windows Phone 8.1 handsets would be required to follow a series of steps including resetting your phone, installing Windows insider app, configuring proxy settings on phone, hacking the registry, check for updates and then install the Windows 10 for phones technical preview build.
The steps are listed below as is from the XDA-Developers post:
- For the Lumia 1520 (and other phones?) reset your phone using the Windows Phone recovery tool. I recommend not logging in and setting everything up yet and just waiting til the end and doing a reset and letting it restore after you’re on Windows 10. This may not be required for your device but most likely is due to the space issue cited by Microsoft. You can see your available space in the About menu of the Windows Insiders app. Before resetting mine was ~200mb and after it was ~600mb. You can try without resetting but may get an error after it tries to download and install the update.
- Install the Windows Insider app on your phone (you will need to have a store account configured)
- Open the insiders app and go to the about options in the app bar and screenshot/make notes/email the settings to yourself. You may need this later.
- Download and extract the WPInsidersHacks app (found here at XDA-Developers) to your computer
- Start the WPInsiderHacks app on pc, approve any firewall requests
- Connect to the same WiFi that your PC is on. Edit the settings for the WiFi connection to turn on the Proxy and set it to use the PC’s IP address and enter 8877 for the port
- Open Internet Explorer on your phone and navigate to http://[pc.ip.add.ress]:8877 where [pc.ip.add.ress] is the IP address of the PC running the WPInsidersHacks app
- Tap on the link at the bottom to the fiddler root certificate
- When prompted click open and then install to trust the cert and ok at the confirmation
- Run the Windows Insider app and tap get preview builds
- Tap on which custom action you’d like to perform e.g. “Set to ATT Lumia 635? and click the arrow at the bottom.
- Accept the agreement and click the check mark at the bottom. the app will close
- Now clear your proxy settings and run the insider app again
- Tap get preview builds and login with your Microsoft account
- Select the fast branch (if you’re reading this of course you want the fast branch) and click the arrow at the bottom
- Go into the phone settings and check for updates. With any luck you should have Windows 10 there for you to install.
- You’ll probably want to go into the settings and do another reset and then log into the phone and let it restore your previous data
Microsoft has already warned against installing unauthorised builds of Windows 10 Mobile and those who still do this do it at their own risk.